Provides information, techniques, strategies and skills helpful in becoming more efficient in note taking, textbook reading, and taking exams. Includes identification of preferred learning style and development of skills in scheduling study time, library research, memory strategies and critical thinking. Prerequisites: Placement into WR 115 and RD 115. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Apply preferred learning style to coursework in classroom and homework settings to maximum learning potential.
- Apply note taking strategies.
- Employ effective textbook reading strategies for college learning.
- Implement strategies for memory and test taking.
- Utilize time management techniques to create a study schedule and manage procrastination.
- Utilize library resources for information and research.
- Apply critical thinking skills to analyze, interpret, and evaluate course content and information.
Course Activities and Design
Teaching modalities may include: lectures; PowerPoint presentations; Internet sites; individual student assignments exploring multiple aspects of study skills. May also include class discussions; case study analyses, students projects and presentations.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessments may address the learning outcomes by means of the following:
- Written reflection and/or presentation on key course concepts.
- Participation in group discussion
- Quizzes and exams
- Practice specific techniques, track effectiveness, and revise to meet personal/educational goals.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Essential study strategies for college learning
- Time management
- Learning styles
- College reading
- Note taking
- Test taking
- Critical thinking
- Short term and long term memory
- Library resources and databases
- Test Anxiety
- Determining key concepts
- Assessing strengths and weaknesses
- Study environment
- Skill application specific to discipline
- Take effective notes
- Read for comprehension and retention
- Evaluate various types of tests and select appropriate test taking techniques
- Develop a personalized study schedule
- Apply learning style to college learning
- Employ memory strategies
- Research methods
- Employ appropriate levels of thinking